construction of interior/exterior set

IMG_0910.JPG  IMG_1014.JPGIMG_1016.JPG  IMG_1017.JPG

  1. experimenting with hexagon construction out of foamboard vs toilet roll and modroc –>modrock added very important layer of strength to structure to keep its shape, prevent it from falling over
  2. creating small sections of hexagon wall –> good way to
  3. fitting smaller sections into larger one to create structure of wall

IMG_1140.JPG IMG_1079IMG_1077.JPGIMG_1139.JPG

4. modrocking together entire structure –> we were concerned it wouldn’t be strong enough for such a large structure but ended up being really tough, impressed with the strength and physical properties of modroc, will definitely consider for future projects

5. spray painting beehive wall structure –> were concerned about colour looking too sand-like, but turned into the perfect honeycomb colour when sprayed onto structure

6. texturing tree out of modroc and paint layers – using pictures of real tree bark was very helpful in achieving a realistic texture (‘trees aren’t brown’), took many more layers than we thought it would, was worth the effort to add different layers of dimensions and colours


7. coloured structure for wall, adding thin layer of PVA and tissue paper on the  back to create translucent wall – water coloured over with yellow, acted like a gel would and created yellow light that was perfect for backlighting our set.

IMG_1155.JPG  IMG_1312.JPG

8. making floorboards out of plywood sheets – had problems with keeping boards same texture and same even height as we used scraps  –> solved problem effectively with watercolour stain in shades of red and browns


9. final wooden floorboards effect – took some time and effort to make it look ‘realistic’, had to create gradient on each board and put filler in between but was worth it for the final effect, looked really effective on camera especially

IMG_1310.JPGWhatsApp Image 2017-03-10 at 2.54.47 PM.jpeg

10. assembling beehive made of modroc and tree onto exterior set: team would measure the different elements onto the set at regular points during making – this helped us to keep in scale and make sure nothing looked out of place in overall set


11. texturing exterior base with sawdust and paint – provided really convincing to-scale texture for soil, was experimentation on a whim as we did not want to use real soil and we had lots of sawdust leftover from previous making, turned out to be very successful


12: further texture on all elements with scale grass – adding textures of a garden exterior with moss covering to tie all elements together visually, make them look like they exist in the same space


13. testing out puppets in set during making – seeing the first visual of our vision come together was really satisfying, knowing efforts hadn’t gone to waste! was able to make adjustments on furniture placement to allow enough space for both characters to move comfortably


14. completed and dressed, lighted set – really pleased with final effect, captured the cluttered ‘lived in’ feeling we needed for Doobee’s home. only issue were curtains for the windows, fabric was very stiff and did not bend and looked out of scale. wetting with water and manually creasing them helped slightly, though would’ve been more effective with another softer fabric

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 13.01.49.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 13.02.03.png

15. completed exterior set with backdrop and lighted – very pleased with final effect, all elements blend together really well, though rectangular shape of base limited the angles we could shoot at as the edges of set would show up on camera, had to compensate by zooming in further and only shooting from specific wide angles